7.29.2008

Dwelling

Last night, as I lie away thinking of the business of the next day, I began to let my mind wander in my exhaustion. For some reason, I find that when my mind is tired and I'm too sleepy to control it, my thoughts start sorting through all of my failures, and try to find any bitterness hiding out in my brain. I don't understand why, at one of the most vulnerable times of the day, my thoughts begin to wallow in the pain of past emotions. Inevitably, my dreams become affected by the negative wanderings before I fell asleep.
So last night, as I thought of the harsh moments in my life, I tried to shake myself out of it, literally saying to myself: "Stop dwelling in these places, they can ruin your entire attitude."

And then I stopped.

Because the word "dwelling" evokes so many scriptural references my mind is suddenly flooded, and not by darkness, but by light.

Psalm 4:8 "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, Oh Lord, make me dwell in safety." Probably the most comforting words I've ever heard in my life.

Psalm 23:6 "Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

John 1: 14 "The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory..."

Ephesians 3:17 "So that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith."

and perhaps most appropriate:

Isaiah 43:18 "...forget former things, do not dwell on the past."

Though I'm pretty sure at the time in grade school I only memorized verses to recieve a prize, I'm truly reaping the rewards today and tomorrow. In moments of trial, even minimal, late at night confusion trials, the Lord's words 'dwelling' within me is His perfect gift.

As Jesus started many of His parables "The kingdom of heaven is like..." I believe that the Kindom of Heaven is like dwelling. With God, in His Son, in the power and presence of the Holy Spirit, in the peace and safety and joy of simply


dwelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment